Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sir, Meetha ???

Today morning i made my monthly visit to the barber shop in the vicinity.It is 10 minutes walk from my home and the service is quite okay,though even now i am not sure of their rates which vary from person to person as per my observation.Since the barber who had taken it upon himself to cut my hair to size was giving final touches to his previous client ,i had to wait and to make my wait a little less frustrating he offered me tea :
barber :sir ,chai lenge aap ?
me :nahi(formality wala)
barber : le lijiye sir ,hum bhi pi lenge
me :(i realised that now i have to agree for his and my sake)theek hai
barber:sir meetha ?(i did not hear 'kitna')
me :nahi koi jarurat nahi hai(i was wondering ki aaj yeh itna takalluf kisliye as i equated meetha with offer for sweets)
barber:(surprised look)sir cheeni bilkul nahi ?
me:(tried to mask my embarrassment with a smile)accha,ek chammach chalega ,maine socha meetha as in mithai
barber:are sahab woh bhi manga lenge agar aap bolte hain to
me:nahi,shukriya

While drinking my tea mixed with embarrassment,i heard people discussing what else but the most sensationalised account of a young girl's murder.There has been so much coverage, and most of it unwarranted, by TV news channels that it has now become sickening to hear newsanchors go on and on about the murder.Its the duty of media to report and raise awareness about issues ,but what we see in this 'murder most foul' case is a total lack of sensitivity in media reporting.Theories have been concocted out of thin air,people have been presumed guilty and lot of sleaze has been dished to the unsuspecting viewers.

No comments: